Guitar playing

Home Forums Discussion about hobbies Guitar playing

Tagged: 

This topic contains 91 replies, has 2 voices, and was last updated by  Steve MacLellan 4 years, 1 month ago.

Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 92 total)
  • Author

Steve MacLellan
    Keymaster

I imagine everyone knows the tune “Dust in the Wind” by Kansas. If you would like to learn how all of the fancy picking is done, there is a tutorial on the Gibson website with Mike Pachelli. If you want to save a copy of this video to your hard drive, you can download a copy of Real Player for free. When you install it there is a place where you can configure it to let you download most videos you see online

Steve MacLellan
    Keymaster

If you’re looking to learn some good tunes the easy way, here is a whole collection for tune lessons for free from the Gibson website here.

They have tunes like, Jessie’s Girl, No More Mr. Nice Guy, Take the Money and Run, Dust in the Wind, plus many more. Check it out.

Steve MacLellan
    Keymaster

Steve Krenz’s video tip this week is on using “Double Stops” — I didn’t know the technique by this name, but I’ve used it for years. You can see the video here:

This tip is right out of his Gibson’s Learn & Master Guitar course. You can learn more about this course here.

Steve MacLellan
    Keymaster

I  liked the band Foreigner back in the good ol’ days. Here is one of the tunes that took them to the top of the charts in the early ’70s:

A lot of the technique in this song is created by glombing the fretboard. What? You’re not familiar with the term “glomb”? Really, I don’t think there is such a word, but some friends and I invented the term for a technique on the guitar that employs the use of the thumb. This technique is something you wouldn’t show your guitar instructor. He would kick you out of the class and tell you to never come back.;-)

So if you have never used your thumb before as a digit on your left hand to play a bass line, while utilizing your other fingers in a normal pattern, this might seem a little odd.

Brandon Trapp from Gibson Guitar gives you a rundown this week on how to play this tune and “glomb” the fretboard in what I would like to call a respectable fashion.

Steve MacLellan
    Keymaster

Gibson has just released a new guitar called the SG Diablo Premium Plus with a pair of Gibson’s finest humbucking pickups, high-performance hardware from TonePros™ and Grover™, a full 24-frets for optimum lead playing (two more than the standard SG fingerboard), and your choice of high-gloss Manhattan Midnight (blue burst), Ice Tea Burst or Trans Black finish.

new gibson guitar

It looks all-right, but like someone else said on the Gibson site, I would have tone and volume buttons for both pickups. The guitar retails for around $2500. If you would like to learn more about it, you can see it on the Gibson website here.

Steve MacLellan
    Keymaster

A good friend from the old days, Jamie Gatti, (we formed the first band together that we both ever play in) is playing bass in this video with Ian James:

Steve MacLellan
    Keymaster

Steve Krenz posted a nice guitar lesson to the Gibson website today. In the video he talks about augmented chords and a tritone augmented chord that you substitute it for a V chord.

Although I’ve studied music theory and have known for countless years how to construct them, I really had no idea where to use them other than the augmented 4th. The augmented sound wasn’t pleasing to my ear, but after watching this lesson, I think I will see where I might be able to fit them in.

You can watch the video lesson here.

Steve MacLellan
    Keymaster

Nice article on the Gibson website about the The Gibson Marauder. Paul Corbett bought one and played it in our rock band when we were teenagers. Truthfully though, I wasn’t real struck in it. I’ve seen other Gibsons I liked much better.

• This reply was modified 4 years, 11 months ago by  Steve MacLellan. Reason: spelling

Steve MacLellan
    Keymaster

How to play “Fire and Rain” by James Taylor

The old rock band I played in when I was a teen did this tune. ‘Course, I didn’t actually play the chords. If anything I put a little lead in there using the A melodic minor scale You know, if memory serves me correctly. Anyway…. watch the video below to learn how to play it.

Steve MacLellan
    Keymaster

Nice video introduction to 9th chords today. It’s on the Gibson website and by Steve Krenz. You can view it here

Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 92 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Comments are closed.